Week 1: Introduction
Basic Digital Photography with Matthew Swarts
Welcome to arts1850!
1. Please download the syllabus: arts1850f12 syllabus_swarts
2. Purchase or prepare all required materials. By next class meeting you must have a fully operational digital camera with a minimum pixel resolution of 5.0 megapixels. Your camera must be capable of fully manual exposure control (both aperture and shutter speed), it must have manual override settings for the following features: exposure compensation, ISO, focus, and white balance. Be sure to bring a USB cord to connect your camera to the computers at school, and make certain the batteries are fully charged before class!
3. Purchase the recommended text: The Complete Guide to Digital Photography (5th edition) by Michael Freeman.
4. Establish a dropbox.com account with your CCRI email address.
5. Download and review the slides from today’s lecture: arts1850slidesweek1
6. Read Living Like Weasels, by Annie Dillard.
7. Register your CCRI email address by completing the following form (note: I will use this email to distribute class information and to share dropbox folders):
8. Wondering about what photography looks like right now? Surf the following links:
9. Come prepared to class next week! No excuses tolerated for not following directions!